2012年6月12日火曜日

EVENTS : Santa Salsa Rockaway Beach Party!




Scratch Famous here! This past weekend, I was lucky enough to join selectors Jah Point, Mush One and Ratta for a night of spinning big chunes at the Low Tide Bar on 96th boardwalk in Rockaway Beach in celebration of the opening of the Santa Salsa Venezualan Hot Dog Cart. I have a long history with Rockaway Beach -- it was a working class vacation spot for New York's immigrants and it was where my father spent his summers, sleeping under the sink as four or five families would share a tiny bungalow to escape the blistering heat of their Bronx tenements; in the 60s and 70s Rockaway went into a long decline, becoming a crime-ridden hot spot of mouldering row houses and ominous public housing tracts. I remember travelling there with one of my father's friends who was going to teach me how to fish for striped bass. We exited the subway at about seven in the morning and were confronted with a nude man, covered in blood, who explained that he was just mugged and they beat him and stole his pants! Stole his pants!!! That's what I call a mugging!!!! Well, like all things in New York, Rockaway has returned and now is having a bit of a rennaissaince with great food (Rockaway Tacos!!! Veggie Island!!! Santa Salsa Venezualan Hot Dog Cart!!!) and just a sensational vibe.

So, in any case, I had a great time, all the selectors dropped great tunes and the weather was lovely





The Beach!!!





Rata, Pinto and Mush 1





The Santa Salsa Hot Dog!





The Treasure Man of Rockaway Beach!





Sunset





The whole a The Crew



We hope to do this party again and even if we do not, I want to encourage everyone to make it out to Rockaway this Summer because something really special is happening out there!